Activities & Presentations
Whether you’re a “doer” or a “watcher” you’ll love it here.
The goal of the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation is to expand our mission to become a vibrant resource that touches the community in diverse ways.
Annual Victorian Days Heritage Tour
Saturday, August 11 at 1:30
Cypress Lawn Memorial Park
1383 El Camino Real, Colma
Meet at the Green Tent
Come in costume or come in your everyday dress
Trolley rides around the park
SUNDAY AFTERNOON LECTURE
Discovering Titanic: Examining the 106-year Legend and Titanic’s Cypress Lawn Connection
August 19 at 2pm
Cypress Lawn Memorial Park
Reception Room, Second Floor
1370 El Camino Real, Colma
Sheryl Rincon will be signing copies of her new book, “Titanic Today.”
Lecture is free/complimentary refreshments
See Titanic artifacts
On June 18, 2017 Cypress Lawn held its first Nighttime Photography Seminar sponsored by the California Preservation Foundation. We will host another such event next year. Here are some of the pictures – unique, one of a kind artwork using spectrum light and time exposure techniques.
Some of the educational and cultural outreach programs we have or will launch include:
- Regular outdoor docent-led “classroom” tours of Cypress Lawn with follow-up discussions for California school children from Grades 4 & up
- Establishment of a Speakers Bureau available to the public to talk on topics related to Cypress Lawn and Bay Area history. This group will inform audiences on Cypress Lawn’s famous people, fine art, architecture and horticulture as well as community histories and funeral traditions, among other topics. Slide shows are available. Our speakers travel to your location.
- Estate, wealth creation, and end-of-life planning symposiums
- Genealogical consultation and classes
- Celebratory events: concerts, living history performances, book club readings and signings, and food and wine festivals
- Photography classes and contests with Cypress Lawn as the subject. Winners would be published in the Heritage Foundation Newsletter and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Twelve photographs would be selected to illustrate our 2016 Cypress Lawn Calendar.
- Art Day: Invite teachers and students from local schools, along with independent artists, for a day of creative drawing and painting with Cypress Lawn as the inspiration. Finished projects can be submitted for a judging, winners to be published in the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
These activities will be open to the general public and most would be free. We welcome any suggestions you may have in regard to new programs and events.