Activities & Presentations
Whether you’re a “doer” or a “watcher” you’ll love it here.
The goal of the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation is to expand our mission to become a vibrant resource that touches the community in diverse ways.
Thursday, October 18, 2018
11 am to 11:30 am
Cypress Lawn Memorial Park
1370 El Camino Real
Colma, CA. 94014
Laurel Hill/Pioneer Mound
The public is cordially invited to the dedication of the new Gladys Hansen Memorial at Pioneer/Laurel Hill Mound on the West Campus of Cypress Lawn.In charge of the San Francisco Public Library’s California Collection, Mrs. Hansen was appointed City Archivist by Mayor Joseph Alioto in 1972 and retired from city service in 1990. She worked tirelessly for 30 years as a researcher and detective to rewrite the long-accepted story of the 1906 Earthquake. Through her efforts we have come to dramatically revise both the number of deceased and the political and economic history of the period.
Gladys Hansen passed on May 11, 2017. She was cremated at Cypress Lawn,and her remains scattered. A new stone memorial with her birth and death dates, featuring an inscribed tribute to her remarkable life and work will be consecrated adjacent to the 1906 Earthquake Memorial she personally dedicated in 2006 in honor of those disaster victims originally recognized and the thousands more who were not.
After the official public dedication is completed, guests are encouraged to remain at the site to offer personal tributes and recollections of Gladys Hansen.
On June 18, 2017 Cypress Lawn held its first Nighttime Photography Seminar sponsored by the California Preservation Foundation. We will host another such event next year. Here are some of the pictures – unique, one of a kind artwork using spectrum light and time exposure techniques.
Some of the educational and cultural outreach programs we have or will launch include:
- Regular outdoor docent-led “classroom” tours of Cypress Lawn with follow-up discussions for California school children from Grades 4 & up
- Establishment of a Speakers Bureau available to the public to talk on topics related to Cypress Lawn and Bay Area history. This group will inform audiences on Cypress Lawn’s famous people, fine art, architecture and horticulture as well as community histories and funeral traditions, among other topics. Slide shows are available. Our speakers travel to your location.
- Estate, wealth creation, and end-of-life planning symposiums
- Genealogical consultation and classes
- Celebratory events: concerts, living history performances, book club readings and signings, and food and wine festivals
- Photography classes and contests with Cypress Lawn as the subject. Winners would be published in the Heritage Foundation Newsletter and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Twelve photographs would be selected to illustrate our 2016 Cypress Lawn Calendar.
- Art Day: Invite teachers and students from local schools, along with independent artists, for a day of creative drawing and painting with Cypress Lawn as the inspiration. Finished projects can be submitted for a judging, winners to be published in the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
These activities will be open to the general public and most would be free. We welcome any suggestions you may have in regard to new programs and events.