Activities & Presentations
Whether you’re a “doer” or a “watcher” you’ll love it here.
The goal of the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation is to expand our mission to become a vibrant resource that touches the community in diverse ways.
“Bay Area Japanese-Americans in the 1940s: The Internment”
February 18, 2 pm
Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, 1370 El Camino Real, Colma. Reception Room, 2nd floor
The lecture is free/complimentary refreshments
Guest Speaker: Foster City Councilman Steve Okamoto
FREE ESTATE PLANNING SEMINAR
Saturday, February 24
“Creating An Estate Plan That Works: What you Need to Know When Planning Your Estate”
10 am to noon
Noon on: optional one-on-one with speakers
Cypress Lawn Cemetery, 1370 El Camino Real, Colma, Reception Room, 2nd floor
All participants will receive a free, comprehensive Estate Planning Guide and a $25 Amazon Gift Card (one per family)
We spend hours planning life-changing event but often leave the details of the one inevitable event to grieving relatives. Here’s what you will learn:
# How the new tax laws can effect estate planning
# Ways of seamlessly transferring what you own at death to those you love
# Practical tools for financial management if you suffer disability
# How to control your future heath care
The seminar is free but reservations are requested. Call 650.755.0580.
“For Kids of All Ages”
A LOOK BACK – SAN FRANCISCO THROUGH MAGIC LANTERN SLIDES
Presented by Ron Ross, President of the San Francisco History Association
Sunday, April 15 at 2pm
Cypress Lawn Cemetery, 1370 El Camino Real, Colma
Reception Room, 2nd Floor
Saturday, April 21, 2pm
ANNUAL ARBOR DAY WALKING TOUR AT CYPRESS LAWN
Conducted by Steven Brown, Chairman of the Horticultural & Floristry Department at City College of San Francisco.
Meet at the green tent to the right of the east side granite archway entrance
On June 18, 2017 Cypress Lawn held its first Nighttime Photography Seminar sponsored by the California Preservation Foundation. We will host another such event next year. Here are some of the pictures – unique, one of a kind artwork using spectrum light and time exposure techniques.
Some of the educational and cultural outreach programs we have or will launch include:
- Regular outdoor docent-led “classroom” tours of Cypress Lawn with follow-up discussions for California school children from Grades 4 & up
- Establishment of a Speakers Bureau available to the public to talk on topics related to Cypress Lawn and Bay Area history. This group will inform audiences on Cypress Lawn’s famous people, fine art, architecture and horticulture as well as community histories and funeral traditions, among other topics. Slide shows are available. Our speakers travel to your location.
- Estate, wealth creation, and end-of-life planning symposiums
- Genealogical consultation and classes
- Celebratory events: concerts, living history performances, book club readings and signings, and food and wine festivals
- Photography classes and contests with Cypress Lawn as the subject. Winners would be published in the Heritage Foundation Newsletter and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Twelve photographs would be selected to illustrate our 2016 Cypress Lawn Calendar.
- Art Day: Invite teachers and students from local schools, along with independent artists, for a day of creative drawing and painting with Cypress Lawn as the inspiration. Finished projects can be submitted for a judging, winners to be published in the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation and posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
These activities will be open to the general public and most would be free. We welcome any suggestions you may have in regard to new programs and events.